From Wellington Cathedral of St Paul
The Latin word for chair is cathedra, which gives its name to the place where the Bishop's chair is housed: a Cathedral.
The Bishop represents the Apostles of old; he is charged with the responsibility of the oversight and care of that part of New Zealand, the lower part of the country's North Island, which is defined as the Diocese of Wellington.
The refurbished chair was the first Bishop's Chair in the Diocese used by The Right Reverend Charles John Abraham, DD (1st Bishop of Wellington, 1858 - 1870).
It is made of heart rimu and has the diocesan crest mounted high over the back and also embroidered on the kneeler and cushion.
Photo by Richard Apperley, 2009